Did you know . . .
- There are approximately 50 traffic accidents in Illinois every year caused by winter weather,
- Many accidents could be avoided by reducing your driving speed, adding more distance from the car in front of you and eliminating distractions caused by cell phone use and loud music, and
- Preparing your car for winter weather could reduce accident risks?
Our Luxor Insurance team wants you to be safe, so we put together this list that will help you get back on the road as soon as possible.
Know Your Risk
Reducing your risk of causing an accident may be as simple as following the above tips. But, you cannot control other drivers around you. Sadly, Indiana still has one of the highest winter-weather-related death rates in our nation.
“The biggest heartbreak for any crash, specifically in the winter months, is that the crash could be prevented, that somebody did something to cause that crash,” – Indiana State Police Sargent John Perrine told FOX 59 in a 2018 interview.
Prepare Your Car for Winter Driving
While you cannot control other drivers, you can make sure your car is in peak performance condition before cold weather arrives, and fall is the perfect time to start your preparations.
Install winter-weather wipers designed for driving in snow, sleet, and rain. Consider keeping your tank at least half full throughout our late fall and winter seasons – doing so makes it easier to start your call on cold mornings. Stash a small sandbag in the trunk as a traction tool if you get stuck. And, remember to remove snow and ice from the headlights and taillights, hood and roof every time you scrap or clean the windshield and other glass to eliminate sloughing hazards as you drive.
Create a Road Accident Checklist
Now that you know some risks and prevention strategies, it is time to create a checklist you can keep in your wallet, glove-box or backpack.
Here are the essentials steps for every driver should an accident occur.
- Call 9-1-1 as soon as possible – once first responders and law enforcement personnel arrive, help them by answering questions, but do not try to lead the conversation.
- Inform your Luxor Insurance representative as soon as you can. We will guide you through the steps of reporting the accident and help you create a post-crash plan.
- Never admit fault or discuss what caused the accident with other parties or witnesses. Stay positive and courteous, but focus on documenting the event, not trying to resolve any liability issues. That is what we do with law enforcement help and your report.
- Photograph the scene, make written notes, and collect information necessary to process your claim, such as
- Complete names (ask witnesses and other parties to print or clearly spell their names)
- Contact information – work, home, cell, and alternative numbers and addresses
- Details of the accident and the scene, including what happened just before the accident, the number of vehicles and the number of people involved, road conditions, weather, time of day, etc.
Do not discuss accident specifics with anyone other than law enforcement, your Luxor agent, and first responders. Make note of anything anyone tells you, remain calm, and do not offer any details that may indicate you are at fault. If you need a local Fishers insurance agent, please contact our office for more tips and a quote today.