No home is 100% safe from fires. There are nearly 400,000 house fires each year around the United States — many of them right here in Indiana.
Fishers, Indiana homeowners can do their part to keep their families, homes, and possessions safe. It begins with abiding by the safety tips below, all of which were created to target the seven most common causes of residential fires.
1). Know How to Cook Safely in the Kitchen
When cooking, always monitor what you’re doing. Never leave burners on — even for “just a quick second.” The majority of home fires are cooking-related (often grease fires) and usually caused by unattended pots and pans becoming out of control while the cook is out of the room.
Also, make sure to keep flammable items in the kitchen far away from the heat. This includes oven mitts, dish towels and sponges, clothing, aprons, curtains, and anything else that could catch fire.
2). Know How to Cook Safely Outdoors
Outdoor cooking can be equally dangerous regarding home fires. This is true especially when it comes to grilling.
Never grill too near your home as siding can easily catch fire and cause an out-of-control blaze. Also, keep your grill clean by removing build-up after every use. A dirty grill can malfunction and cause severe fires that are difficult to put out.
3). Keep an Eye on Candles
While candles are beautiful to look at and lovely to smell, they pose a fire risk in your home because they are open flames.
To use candles safely, never leave them unattended, and never use them in the bedroom. Always keep children and animals away from lit candles, and also remove possible hazards like drapes, shower curtains, furniture, decorations, books, etc. It’s best just to have one candle lit at a time as multiple burning candles multiply their risk.
4). Take Care of Flammable Liquids
Paints, stains, solvents, and any other flammable liquids in your home need to be kept in safe storage. Always be safe when using these materials as well. Never soak rags in stain, for example, then leave them crumpled in a pile. Believe it or not, piles of soaked rags like these have been known to combust, causing fires that can entirely destroy homes spontaneously.
5). Watch Out for Electrical Outlet Overload
Electrical outlets can be a potential fire hazard, especially if they become overloaded with appliances. Avoid attaching plug extenders, extension cords, and power bars to electrical outlets whenever possible, and also consider using AFCI outlets.
AFCI outlets will shut off on their own if they detect an arc-fault within their circuits. This can stop electrical fires before they start.
6). Keep Dryer Vents Clean
Dryer vents can easily build up with lint, and because they are consistently exposed to high heat levels, this combination can become a fire hazard quite easily. To avoid a dryer vent fire, simply take a look at your vent on a regular basis, and keep it clean by removing lint build-up.
7). Take the Appropriate Safety Steps When Using Portable Heaters
Space heaters or portable heaters can be useful at times, but these appliances pose an especially great fire risk for homeowners. To avoid causing a fire because of a space heater, always keep them in a safe and stable area where they won’t tip over, and never leave them on when you’re not in the room. Additionally, make sure they are kept at a distance from all potential hazards, including children, pets, furniture, draperies, bedspreads, rugs, etc.
While it’s impossible to eliminate every risk of fire in the home completely, studies and statistics tell us that these seven home safety rules will set you up for the greatest amount of protection.
For additional questions about home fire protection — or to learn how you can protect your home with comprehensive home insurance — contact our Luxor Insurance team today.